Tuesday 6 February 2018

February 2018 A great morning in the early sunlight with the Penduline Tit

I returned to a well known site where the Penduline Tit has been reported for many weeks.  In the beginning after first being reported there were quite big crowds, all intent on getting the tick or an image.  The furore had died down and as I was going near by anyway, so I thought I would call in and  check it out again.  It was so nice to be there in the early light on my own.  The Penduline Tit also showed up almost immediately.  What a nice peaceful morning.  This is what it's all about.

Penduline Tit
I noticed that it was feeding on small grubs from within the reed head.  I found out through an expert that this is the Shy Cosmet Moth (Limnaecia phragmitella) larvae.
Natural environments are always so inter-connected.  Without the pond with the particular reed heads, there would be no moths present.  Without the moths no Penduline Tit.  They never just turn up and stay randomly.  Nature is just so fascinating and beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment