Sunday 22 October 2017

October 2017 On holidays in Majorca the beautiful S'albufera Parc Natural

This is my third visit to Majorca and one of the main reasons I go back so often is the beautiful S'albufera Park Natural.  I love this park which is the largest wetland in the Balearic Islands and it is quite magical.  There are a large number of species to be seen and they have great facilities with quite a number of hides and viewing platforms.

Flamingo

Kentish Plover

Night Heron

Osprey
 It was quite a surprise to see a couple of flamingos drop into the wetland.  I have never seen this species there before.  The Night Herons can often be seen in the vegetation down the main canal as you walk in.  Kentish Plovers are quite numerous.  I had heard that an Osprey had been seen on a few days but I had to wait until my fourth visit before I managed to catch up with it.  The whole scrape of birds took rapid flight and there was the great noise of wing beats spreading along the scrape.  This beautiful Osprey then landed on the post in front of the hide.  This was just so exciting made all the more special by having to wait for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment